A rollerball perfume is a perfume that comes in a compact container with a small ball at the end. This ball rolls around as you apply the scent, evenly spreading the fragrance onto your skin. But how do you execute this flawlessly?
The classic way to apply rollerball perfume is to roll the ball end gently over your pulse points. These areas include behind your ears, neck, knees, wrists, elbows, collarbone, and temples. The perfume should make contact with the inner side of the rollerball before touching your skin.
Roller balls or roll-ons are an easy way to wear your signature scent. They also offer the user several benefits. Keep reading as we delve more into this topic.
What Is a Rollerball Perfume?
Rollerballs are fragrances with a perfume application system that enables you to deliver scent directly and accurately to your pulse points. They also facilitate a slower flow rate for your scent.
Rollerballs come in much smaller quantities than regular perfumes. You will typically find them in sizes of 5 ml, 10 ml, and 1 oz (0.17 oz, 0.34 oz and 30 ml).
How To Use Rollerball Perfume
The great thing about roll-on perfume is that it’s extremely user-friendly. You only need to roll it back and forth over your skin. A helpful trick is to first roll the ball attached to the end of the perfume with your finger. This will help you ascertain the roller is moving before rolling the rollerball perfume onto your preferred spot.
Perfume oil concentration plays a significant role in whether a perfume comes as a spray or in a rollerball format. You may find that some rollerball scents come as eau de toilettes (this means they contain a lighter scent than regular perfume bottles) though this is not always the case. Most perfume oils come as roll-on fragrances though you will also find regular perfumes in this format.
Perfume oils are more concentrated than regular spray perfumes. They last longer too.
While you can use either rollerballs or spray perfumes, whatever the fragrance concentration, here are some useful recommendations:
|Perfume Oil Concentration
|Super light and best for freshening up, last about an hour
|Eau de Cologne
|Delicate, airy, daytime scent with a longevity of roughly 2 hours
|Eau de Toilette
|Subtle and light. Perfect for daytime use, lasts 3 – 4 hours
|Eau de Parfum
|Best for night outs, lasts 4-6 hours
|Either spray-on or roll-on
|Perfect for fancy events/special occasions, lasts 6-8 hours
|Extrait de Parfum
|Most potent and luxurious, eternal
Where To Apply Rollerball Perfume
The best place to apply rollerball is on your pulse points, just like with traditional perfume. Pulse points are areas where blood flows close to the skin. These include the following:
- Wrists. This is a popular spot as it makes it easier to enjoy your fragrance. You can sniff on it all day. Moreover, your arms are constantly in motion, thus creating movement in your fragrance. To apply perfume here, rub the rollerball gently onto your wrists. Most people like to rub their wrists together after dabbing them with fragrance. However, this is not advisable because the rubbing motion can ruin your fragrance.
- Elbows. The insides of your elbows present a perfect spot for your perfume. Most importantly, it’s harder to rub or wash off compared to your wrists, meaning your scent will last longer. Use this area when wearing something short-sleeved, exposing the crease of your elbow.
- Neck. Going for a special date? Dab the perfume on the base of your neck.
- Behind the knees. Applying your perfume in this location allows it to rise during the day, leaving a lingering scent that wafts around you as you walk. The skin here is warm and soft, which aids in diffusing the scent. This is a great spot to consider when the weather turns warmer.
- Behind the ears. This area allows for flirty scent diffusion. Furthermore, the enticing aroma will draw the attention of anyone nearby.
- Collarbone. Rolling your rollerball perfume along your collarbone is not only elegant, but it also develops a unique sense of intimacy, making people gravitate toward you.
Pulse points are typically warm. Placing your fragrance in these areas allows the notes to get activated. They expand, deepen, and develop to their fullest potential, optimizing your scent.
Pro Tip: To locate your pulse point, search for the area on your skin where you can feel your heartbeat.
Benefits of Rollerball Perfume
Now that you know how to apply rollerball perfume, you might be interested in knowing how rollerballs compare with regular spray perfumes. Below are some of their upsides:
- You are more in control. By focusing on the pulse points for rollerball perfume, you deliver a smaller but adequate dose of scent. This ensures you only use what you need. You also target precise locations, so the perfume goes exactly where you want it to go for easy diffusion to the rest of the body.
- Cost-effective. A little goes a long way; hence, your designer perfume lasts longer. Besides, there’s no fear of over-applying perfume and overwhelming people around you.
- Makes touching up easier. A rollerblade comes in handy if you need to reapply your perfume. It’s also discrete – you can even reapply at your desk while at work without affecting your colleagues.
- Portability. Rollerball perfumes are light and easy to carry around. Simply throw the compact container into your handbag or office desk and use it when needed.
- Longer staying power. You may not get that much diffusion with rollerballs hence less sillage, but since you apply the perfume directly on your skin, the aroma tends to last longer. For instance, a 5 ml (0.17 oz) roll-on bottle can last a full month, whereas a 10 ml (0.34 oz) one can go anywhere between 2 and 3 months.
- Great for people with sensitive skin. Rollerballs are generally alcohol-free.
- More affordable. Rollerball bottles are smaller in size (hence carry a lower amount of perfume) and simpler in terms of design and overall aesthetics.
With upsides come downsides. Below are a few downsides of rollerball perfumes.
Downsides of Rollerball Perfume
There are downsides to rollerball perfume as well, including:
- They don’t last as long as spray perfumes. Rollerball perfumes come in smaller sizes and hence don’t last very long. Conversely, spray-on perfume comes packed in larger bottles, and a 50 ml (1.7 oz) flacon can take up to 8 months, even with daily usage.
- Spray perfumes have better presentation. A perfume’s receptacle forms part of the fragrance experience – the more aesthetically pleasing, the better. Spray-on fragrances come in gorgeous flacons, heightening your overall experience. They also make stunning gifts.
- Not ideal for use on clothes. As discussed, roller perfumes are best used on pulse points. In any case, you won’t have to worry about staining your clothes.
The choice between a rollerball and a spray bottle comes down to the situation at hand. For instance, you may want to consider buying your go-to fragrance or signature scent in both formats. This way, the rollerball will offer you precision and convenience while the spritz version will guarantee soft diffusion, not to mention a certain elegance.
People are different, and one person’s perfume needs and preferences might not be identical to yours. So, should you opt for rollerball perfumes or spray-on perfumes? In other words, do you prefer rolling or spritzing?
Fortunately, there’s no right or wrong way to wear perfume. It all depends on you and what method you find most suitable. Nevertheless, we hope this post has opened your eyes to the benefits of using rollerball perfumes and in which instances you should consider using them.